Friday 18 January 2013

Textbooks: Useful or Not?

Second week, and here is my second blog post! I didn't know what I should make this blog post about this week, as it's been sort of a slow week at the university.

In my Reading, Writing, and Thinking Skills class we have been talking about text books and whether or not their use is appropriate in the classroom. We also learned methods about how to help our students read textbooks.

I found this discussion quite interesting because in university, I have actually used my textbooks a lot. The first few years of university I would buy my textbooks and never read them, and I was not a very good student. In my third year I started reading my textbooks and I found that I would take in the information and became a better student as a result of this.

In university, we are mostly choosing our classes, so most of the content we are reading is somewhat interesting to us. However, in high school a lot of classes are mandatory. I also found that when I highlighted information in my own textbooks I was able to connect to the information better. Because students don't own the textbooks, they do not have this information available to them.

This has made me think a lot about using textbooks in the classroom. Because I have mostly been in English classrooms, we haven't necessarily used a textbook in the usual sense. We have used plays and novels, however. It's easier for English teachers to use these "textbooks" in their classroom because they are often used to talk about a specific theme and discussions about students understanding of the novel is usually done in class.

I can definitely see how textbook use in classes such as math or science would be more difficult. It was definitely an interesting conversation, and one that I will think about when I go to use textbooks in the future. I will also be sure to try to recognize my students understanding of the vocabulary, which can definitely be confusing.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading and will read non-fiction books related to my teachables quite often but I have no memory of actually learning from a textbook. Don't get me wrong, I do read my textbooks but I'm not engaged without having a conversation or activity related to that information. This is why I have began blogging about what I am reading for my ed classes, without writing it out and having conversations with others the material just doesn't stick.

    For the classroom I tend to stay away from textbooks. There are times when I have pulled select passages from the class textbook or other sources, but I would say I am more of a hands-on teacher. I think maybe this has to do with my personal learning style. I try to incorporate text in a rotation (to help met everyone's learning style) but I find textbooks are such an outdated learning method...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think university students are more capable of using textbooks in a way that supplements learning, whereas secondary and middle school students are not necessary cognitively mature enough to use textbooks as learning tools. That is why it is up to us teachers to use (or not use) them wisely. I am not a big fan of textbooks myself, other than using them as a helping resource. Yet, if our students are going to pursue a post-secondary education then it behooves us to teach them how to read a textbook for comprehension.

    ReplyDelete